SARL is implemented in Java, so you must have a Java Runtime Environment 1.8 or higher installed in order to compile and execute.
There are two easy ways to get SARL up and running.
A pre-configured Eclipse distribution is available which has already all the necessary plug-ins installed.
Alternatively, you can install SARL SDK into your existing Eclipse using the Eclipse update mechanism.
Install Pre-Configured Eclipse with SARL SDK
- Download the distribution from above that matches your OS.
- Unzip the archive into the directory of your choice. Windows Users should choose a directory close to the root since the zip contains a deeply nested folder structure. The maximum path length on windows may not exceed 256 characters.
- Launch Eclipse and select the workspace location. A workspace location is the directory for your user data and project files.
Command line tools
Several command-line tools could be dowloaded with the following links.
Install SARL SDK From Update Site (not recommended)
If you have an Eclipse running :
- Choose Help -> Install New Software... from the menu bar and Add... Insert one of the update site URLs (http://updates.sarl.io/composite/releases, or http://updates.sarl.io/composite/snapshots). This site aggregates all the necessary and optional components and dependencies of SARL.
- Select the SARL Language Definition and the SARL Development Kit from the category SARL, and complete the wizard by clicking the Next button until you can click Finish.
- After a quick download and a restart of Eclipse, SARL is ready to use.
Note We recommend to use Eclipse Neon.1.
Getting the Source Code
The source code of SARL is available on Github.
You could get the source code by cloning the GIT repository:
git clone https://github.com/sarl/sarl.git